07 February 2011

Cerritos' Saturday Farmer's Market

I haven't been to a farmer's market for months so when my pregnant friend wanted to go I volunteered to go with her. I love any farmer's market. It reminds me of home, (Lingayen, Pangasinan) where most of the produce are fresh. Fish, meat, and poultry products are not frozen. Fruits and veggies that are available are only the ones in season. Rice cakes, Filipino tamales, and other goodies sold in the market are usually home made and you know the vendor's name because you always see her every week. When I was a kid, I used to tag along with my mom to the market. The street where I lived was only a block away from the market ("palengke" in Tagalog. Our house was behind the provincial jail. Our street was also behind the old provincial court and town hall. The town's plaza and church was close to it too). Whenever I get lost (it's always busy on Saturday and the market is always crowded), I always go back to the lady who sell fish and seafood to my mom and my mom finds me there. Love the market and I miss it. 
Brussel sprouts $2.00 per pound (I bought some and I'm going to roast it)

The market (not too many stalls, maybe less than 30)

Roasted (GMO???) corn with a little bit of mayonaise, lime, chili powder, and lemon pepper...Yummy (even though I know it's GMO). $3.00/corn. I also tasted the beef and chicken tamale ($3.00/tamale) and both are yummy.
Beets and radishes


sweet strawberries

the aftermath

No comments:

Post a Comment